Monday, March 7, 2011

Will I forever be in the shadow of my Father.

Quite possibly, he's about 4 inches taller than me for a start off.

When I was a kid, my dad used to buy me balsa wood and tissue model aeroplanes for Christmas, and we'd sit down on boxing day to build them. More precisely, I would watch as my dad built them and cover them in tissue and dope. We'd then go to a local park where we would turn them back into something like the original collection of balsa that came in the box.

As I got older, I would become more involved in the building and the models got bigger, rubber bands were replaced with cox .49 glow plug engines and I would fit radio controls to prevent the inevitable impact with mother earth. And then one year, I bought my dad a rubber powered balsa model for Christmas. We had come full circle.

Anyway, enough sentimental back story.

My sister in the UK had a bit of a whip round and we bought my dad a model boat for his birthday - January the 10th. It arrived about a month ago, and the bastard has done this. He's already miles ahead of us. What a git.

Ok, it's only a little one, but he's catching up.

3 comments:

  1. You have made our Dad's day! He even rang me on my MOBILE TELEPHONE to tell me to read it!!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now you should tell him the good news that he has to row it down the Waikato River.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whip round??! Nobody's given me any money!
    Enjoying the blog.

    xx

    ReplyDelete