A nasty cold kept me away for a couple two weeks, but I got back to it a recently. Each time I leave the oars, I think they look great: when I come back to them, I can see that more work is required.
I spent a little more time on the rudder, which came up beautifully after a progressive sanding. I wiped it down with a damp cloth, which gave some idea of what it will look like with a varnish coat:
The weather is changing, which is important because it means conditions will be better for applying the last coats of varnish. We have already sprayed several coats on the hull, inside and out, but the finish is uneven and quite disappointing. I have therefore done quite a bit of sanding of the inside of the boat and, when that gets too tedious, I turn to other bits and pieces.
We are planning to put glass fibre on the spoons and part of the looms to add strength, so I experimented with some offcut wood, to see how it all works. The glass fibre cloth moulded very easily to shape and a layer of epoxy fixed it beautifully. Once that layer dried, the weave of the cloth was very obvious, but a light sanding, followed by a layer of varnish, gave a smooth finish and the cloth became almost invisible.
|A test piece with glass fibre|
I found a series of videos on You Tube, posted by Nick Schade of Guillemot Kayaks: if you want to learn some good stuff about woodworking, he's very, very skilled. He also has all the right tools and they are all sharp! (www.guillemot-kayaks.com).
I watched Nick applying varnish to his kayaks. With a simple technique, he gets a perfect finish, using a brush. Basically, he goes once with the grain, once across, and then once with again. He keeps to a relatively small area ( a couple or three feet), changes to the other side, repeats and then back to the starting side.
I decided to have a go on our seats, which had previously been sealed with a layer of epoxy. I was thrilled by the result and am wondering whether to abandon the spraying altogether:
|No brush strokes here.|