Friday, December 10, 2021

Brassed off

 The only metallic parts on the boat are the pintles and straps that support the rudder.

The pintles are vertical pins or posts onto which the straps hook. The straps sandwich the rudder and the pintles go through the round cylinders.


Straps (top) and pintles

I was disappointed to find that these components aren't available in brass but, instead, are bright steel and are a bit obtrusive against the soft shades of brown and gold of the rudder. I was keen to see if there was a way to change this. 
Electroplating with brass seemed an expensive and slow process and I couldn't find a satisfactory option simply to spray the parts (paint would most likely wear off very quickly).

After much trawling of the webinet, I discovered that it might be possible to coat the steel, using high heat (delivered by the burner we use for making crême brulée) and a brass wire brush: gradually stroking the brush across the red hot steel is supposed to deposit a film of brass onto the metal.


I took the precaution of buying two of these brushes. Sure enough, in a short time I found myself holding a flaming toothbrush, which then melted and dropped hot plastic everywhere. I was pretty much ready to give up, thinking I'd need a more robust brush, but when the first strap had cooled, I realised that I had made an appreciable difference:

Signs of progress

I had a cup of tea, then had another crack, taking care to keep the brush moving. By the end of the session, the second brush had fallen apart, too, but the results were very exciting: I think I shall try again to add a bit more brass, but even as they are, the components are much improved.


Looking very nice

All with some coating

More work needed on this one, I think

I have already marked where the pintles will be fixed onto the transom of the boat: if the rain holds off, the rudder will be fitted in the next day or so.


No comments:

Post a Comment