Saturday, December 18, 2021

What do we do now?

It seems a long time ago that we started this project. That's surprising, because, in fact, it was a very long time ago. Our first blog was penned on 19th September 2010: the day after my birthday.

Now, a mere 11 years later, I am pleased to announce that the thing is complete, finished, knocked off, nailed (or epoxied), tick in box, crossed off, history, over and done with. Well, OK, not quite, because the project was to row it down the Waikato river, so I guess we are at the end of the beginning...

I have to confess to being quite emotional at finally reaching this stage: just look at this:


Just need a high tide now.




The build was finished yesterday: today I added an 'eye' to the stem post, to take a painter and also fitted the rudder strings. I also put the buttons and grips on the oars. There will always be something else to be done...
A painter

Oars complete
In fixing the buttons, albeit temporarily, I have flown in the face of good advice from Malcolm and Boysie, who said to wait until they can give me the right gear: this is because we are committed to testing the boat on the water tomorrow. Sorry, chaps.

I think that we probably did spend something like the 200 hours that were estimated to be the build time: we just got a bit distracted by other stuff along the way.

Keep watching: we need to get it on the water: the proof of the pudding is in the eating (though, round here, they say, oddly, "the proof is in the pudding"). Joe and I have had lots of pudding, so it will be a true test of our workmanship.





No comments:

Post a Comment