Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Before and After.

You remember the picture of the uncut sternpost? That was the "before".

You remember the call for a bandsaw? That was because it took ages to get the stem back into some form of shape after the vagaries of our (Brendan's) jigsaw.

So, I have just got back from John Calvert's workshop on Adelaide Road. He has a bandsaw.

This is the "after" thanks a lot John
He also has a treasure trove of bits of wood, tools, including a spokeshave,  half built furniture, a blob of glass about four feet across that apparently has something to do with a glory-hole. (that should increase the number of hits to the site). Oh, and he's got a black poodle that seems quite friendly.
John offered me the use of the bandsaw. It was a tad blunt and had a bit of a personality so I decided to let him cut the sternpost for me. I didn't want to embarrass myself in front of an actual craftsman. So, while I threw a rubber ball around the workshop to entertain his dog, John did this.

Oh, and the best bit, when I asked if I owed him anything, he said "nope". What a gent.  Go and have a look at his furniture, and if you need something amazing made up, give him a call. http://www.johncalvert.co.nz/home.html

Note - apparently a glory hole in this particular instance is the second furnace in the process of blowing (stop it!) glass. It has nothing to do with George Michael.

No comments:

Post a Comment