Thursday, January 27, 2011

Jiggy Jiggy Pt 2.

Right, I bought a router.

Having spent the better part of 20 minutes cutting the first scarf joint, and the better part of $200 on a router, I thought I had better use the latter to resolve the former.

I figured if we could cut two cheeses (technical term to describe a wedge) at a 6.5 - 1 gradient, I could use them to form the right slope to route the scarf joint.  So, I thought about my Sines and Cosines for a while, and my Pythagoras and finally got a ruler and measured  6.5 inches along and 1 inch up - in metric obviously, this isn't the dark ages.


Having cut a base for the router, we screwed the cheeses to my scarfing table and played around with the resulting jig. It took a few adjustments but when we cracked it, the results were magnificent.

Chris on the verge of a rather industrial manicure.
It doesn't get much better than that - our jig creates perfect joints.
As you can see by the photos, I can now create perfect scarf joints in minutes, most importantly, significantly less than 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment