Sunday, January 16, 2011

Transom Trauma

The Christmas break is nearly over, and I am back a work tomorrow, so I'd better backfill the blog. I have been working on the boat, as has Chris, but I have neglected the blog.

First things first. We decided that my first attempt at the cutting of the transom was not quite perfect, so I decided to have another go. This time with the assistance of the most helpful craftsman I know. (And probably the only one). I took another chunk of Mahogany down to John Calvert and asked if I could use his band saw. Oh, and his workbench and his tools, and his skills.

I did use his band-saw, although John did the complicated bits, and we came away with a perfect transom, as per the new drawings. I "offered up" (Technical term meaning, to put a bit next to another bit) the new transom and found that it was a lot bigger than the sternpost that I would need to glue it to. Oh poo.

So, I checked the drawings, which were fine, then I put the two transoms together and found that one was much bigger than the other. A flurry of emails followed and, I am sure Alec won't mind me saying this, it was discovered that the drawings are wrong. Anyway, it'll just mean that 1. I'll have to cut some bits off the planks and the boat is going to a little bit smaller than Alec intended, although exactly as long as the blueprints and 2. The next person who buys this kit will have learned from my discoveries.

So, here's the new transom. Much better than the first attempt.

The plans and the new transom, something wrong here.
Later, I will upload the photos of the scarphing jig what that we built.

No comments:

Post a Comment