Tuesday, November 23, 2010

$40 !! Did I hear you right? I paid $50 for them, are you trying to ruin me!

Haggling, I love it. I make a point of haggling over everything I buy, I will haggle over electronic equipment, bikes, holidays, anything. My friends suggest it's to do with my Yorkshire heritage.

I was driving back from Lyall bay earlier today and noticed a second hand shop. I asked if there were any second hand tools. Indeed there were. I asked the helpful shop assistant/owner if he had heard of a spokeshave. So far only Chris and my old man seem to know what one is. "Oh yes" he says, I have an old one out the back". It's a bit blunt and a bit old fashioned, but it looks the part and I can sharpen the blade.

"How much"  I ask..
"errrrr, $10 ?".

What I really need, I point out is a No. 4 Plane, Stanley preferably. "Oh yes he says I have one out the back", again, a bit blunt and old fashioned, but it's reassuringly heavy and looks lovely.

"How much" I ask.
"errrr $35"
"$40 the pair?" I reply
"Done!"

I am very excited to get these tools home and sharpened and oiled. I think I have crossed some weird boundary.

2 comments:

  1. " A bit blunt and old fashioned" - yep, that's you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving the posting to facebook Joe... a great reminder for me to come read your blog. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete