Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Transom.

I had a great joke about Yorkshire kidnappers lined up, but you wouldn't get it.

Instead of sharpening my new Spokeshave and No. 4 Plane, I decided to have a crack at shaping the transom.

It's been a drawn out process..

Firstly, from the parts list, buy a nice piece of hardwood, Mahogany in our case, that appears to be far too small for the job in hand. Secondly, trace out the shape of the transom from the half a transom on the plans and, using all your spatial skills, work out a way to cut up the undersised plank to fit the transom.

This appeared impossible at first.

Thirdly, glue the resulting three pieces together to make a shape losely resembling the transom.

Lastly, set to with a jigsaw, a sanding block and a chisel.

It's not finished, and needs a little more fine work, but here's one I prepared earlier.

At this point I would like to give a huge plug to West Systems epoxy, the picture above is of three pieces of wood glued together. If you can see the joins, I'll buy you a pint.

No comments:

Post a Comment