Monday, August 15, 2011

Turnover Part Two




While Calico Joe was lounging under the boat, I was organising the hired help to do the important stuff: lifting the boat, carrying it out of the garage , turning it over and settling it onto the handmade cradles.



I was amazed at how light it was, even with half the moulds still in place: of course we need to fit decks, thwarts (seats) and foot stretchers, but even so, the challenge of the portages on the Great Journey down the Mighty Waikato might be a little more manageable than anticipated.

The moment when I saw the inside of the boat properly for the first time was quite special: I had steeled myself to seeing a mess of epoxy stalagmites, but it was surprisingly neat and the confluence of the planking on the inside of the boat was very beautiful.



We've kept the moulds in place to ensure the hull retains the correct shape until we are able to fit the remaining bracing components, though they do have the advantage of enabling us to have separate cabins in case we argue...



Just in passing, I note that everyone who came to the party urged us NOT to paint the hull. I'm just saying, that's all.







1 comment:

  1. No, Francie urged us not to paint the hull. She does hold the majority of one, as the only voter. But the jury is still out.

    ReplyDelete